ELC Funding 1


How ELCAS Funding Works

Paragon Traning Acadmey is a partner in the MoD’s Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme (ELC) to train anyone involved with the armed forces.

The MOD‘s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELCS) is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. The scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years.

ELCS funding is only available for higher level learning i.e. for courses that result in a nationally recognised qualification at level three or above on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).

There are several stages to the ELCS process.

  • First you must register to become a Scheme Member and accrue a sufficient amount of service before you can submit a claim
  • Have a look through the courses available on the Paragon Training Academy  website and select a course. If you are unsure whether this meets the higher level learning criteria (level three or above), then give us a call.
  • You must complete and submit an ELCS claim, approved by an authorised Education Staff if you are in service or your Single Service Representative if you are out of service. For further details regarding claiming out of service, ex-service personnel should visit the ELCAS website

More information please give us a call on 01582343448


I have had a break in service and am registered with ELCAS. Which form do I need to complete?

You are required to complete the Interrupted Service Supplementary Form, this can be found in the downloads section of the website (www.enhancedlearningcredits.com).  You are required to enter all periods of eligible service and then this form must be signed by your Educational Officer if serving or your Single Service Representative if you are no longer in service.

Who signs my Enhanced Learning Credits claim form when I have left the Services?

As a service leaver part five of your claim form must be completed by the Single Service Representative, you can find their contact details and address on theService Leaver-Claiming ELC page of the ELC website.

How do I know which tier I am eligible to claim?

 For the lower tier of funding you are required to have completed a minimum of four years eligible service prior to 1st April 2017 or not less than six years eligible service if you enlisted on or after the 1st April 2013. Therefore you were required to still be serving as of 01/04/2004 to claim at this tier. For higher tier claims you are required to complete a minimum of eight years eligible service.

What is the lower or higher tier?

On the lower tier of funding you are entitled to claim 80% of the cost of a Level three or above course up to the maximum of £1000.00. For the higher tier this is up to £2000.00 per ELC claim. 

How many claims in total can I make?

You are entitled to make a maximum of three ELC claims in total, but only one ELC claim per financial year.

When does the financial year run from?

The financial year runs from 1 April – 31 March, with regards to claiming it depends on your course start date with regards to which year of funding your claim comes out of. E.g. If the course start date was 31/03/2009 this claim would come out of financial year 08/09 which means after 01/04/2009 you would be able to claim again for a course starting in financial year 09/10.

I have been unable to proceed with my course. How do I cancel / amend my claim?

You must refer to your appropriate MOD authorised Personnel to explain the reasons for withdrawal or amendment. This differs depening on if you are a service leaver or still serving. Please click the links below for more information

How can I find out if my course is Level three or above?

You can check with the provider who should be able to advise you and provide proof of the Level of the course. (You can also refer to this handy guide on comparing qualifications in the UK and Ireland).

Can I claim for a course which I have already paid for?

No, under the scheme rules retrospective claims are not permitted.

I’ve left the services by when must I submit my final claim?

Your final claim must be submitted before the 10th anniversary of your last day of service if you left before 1st April 2011. If you left betwen 1st April 2011 and 31st March 2016 (both dates inclusive), they will expire on 31st March 2021.  If you left as of 1st April 2016 or later, they expire on the 5th anniversary of your last day of service.  The course MUST start before this date.   

I have received a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) but my course details have changed. How do I get a new CAN.

You should check the section ‘Amending/Cancelling/Reinstating’ a claim. If your claim can be amended you must refer to your MOD authorising party ie. Education Officer if you are still in service or Single Service Representative if you are a Service Leaver.   

I have been told to speak to CTP. Is that the same as ELCAS? Who are they and how can they help?

CTP (The Career Transition Partnership) is not the same as ELCAS no, they are the provider of Armed Forces resettlement. CTP provides resettlement services for those leaving the Armed Forces regardless of time served. They also operate as an intermediary service for employers wishing to hire Service leavers, to date having assisted over 235,000 SLs with transition to civilian life.  

Is Paragon an approved learning provider?

Yes, We are approved training provider. You can check on list of providers by clicking on ‘Searching for a Learning Provider’ on the Serving Personnel or Service Leaver pages of the website (www.enhancedlearningcredits.com).

ELC Funding 2

Our Courses

Aesthetic Courses

Hair& Beauty Courses


Health & Safety Courses

Functional Skills



Suite 4, Clock House, East Street Barking, London IG118EQ

Contact Details

Luton: 01582 343 448

London: 02039 580 153